What is collagen, what is it for and how to increase its production
My face is getting more and more wrinkles! As much as I try to take care of my skin, it is impossible for me to get rid of the wrinkles that are appearing on my face (especially on the forehead). Does it happen to you too and want to fix it? Let's see what happens to me...
It's all the collagen 's fault! Although we don't notice it, collagen is an essential protein for our skin . However, over time those collagen levels are declining in our body . Today I tell you what collagen is, what it is for and how to increase its production !
What is collagen?
Collagen is an important protein for the structural elements of our body to stay together and, in addition, it is part of our diet . It must be taken into account that, depending on the area of our body (nails, bones, skin, ligaments, cartilage, tendons...), there are different types of collagen :
- Type 1 collagen: This type of collagen is found in the bones , in the tendons and in the dermis , especially.
- Type 2 collagen: this type of collagen is found in cartilage (ears, nose, joints…)
- Type 3 collagen: This type of collagen is in our skin , in the intestines , and in the lining of blood vessels .
What functions does collagen have in our body?
Even if you didn't know anything about collagen until now , in truth this protein is essential for the proper functioning of our body (not only for the skin , but also).
- Unites the connective tissues ; therefore, it is an element that helps support the human body
- Strengthens the bones : collagen has the ability to mix with other substances (such as minerals, for example) and create different structures in the body, such as the bone structure (collagen and calcium) or the dermis (collagen and elastin).
- Gives structure, firmness, elasticity and hydration to our skin : collagen forms fibers that form the structures of the body and gives them that degree of elasticity, firmness and hydration.
- Helps maintain the health of your muscles, tendons, joints and bones
- Allows the skin and tendons to stretch .
Why do collagen levels decrease?
Over the years , our body produces less collagen . It is estimated that at the age of 40 , men produce half the amount of collagen that we did in our teens. This considerable lack of protein causes a loss of elasticity, flexibility and hydration in the skin and pain in the joints and muscles (among many other negative consequences).
That is why when we become adults , we need to increase the production of collagen in our body because, since we cannot fight against the passage of time, at least we can make the consequences not be so radical, don't you think?
To know if you suffer from a lack of collagen in your face , you should look at the following signs:
- Dry or sagging skin: it is normal for a lack of collagen to make your skin not look as radiant and hydrated as before...
- Signs of aging: don't worry if you see certain wrinkles, expression lines or bags under the eyes beginning to appear on your skin . Getting older has its consequences too...
- Joint pain: do your joints or muscles hurt ? It is inevitable... As I have explained to you before, collagen not only acts on the skin , but is essential for the proper functioning of the entire body.
- Nail and hair weakness: if you have noticed that your nails and hair split or break more easily than before, it may be a clear sign that you lack collagen in your body...
How to increase collagen production?
So that the collagen levels of our skin do not decrease considerably, it is essential that you consume foods rich in collagen (which will also make you have a healthy and balanced diet).
On the other hand, don't forget to take proper care of your skin ... Have you tried our Good Face Box ? If you suffer from a lack of collagen, its apple extract ingredient will help you increase collagen production in your face.
So now you know what to do to deal with the lack of collagen in your skin and in your body in general! Maintain a balanced diet rich in collagen , in addition to taking care of your skin properly. (You'll notice the changes, you'll see).