Is the mask destroying your face?
For many, acne is a memory of adolescence, for others it has haunted us for a few more years, but in 2020 it is catching us all without any discrimination. Masks are protecting us in this pandemic, but the quality of our skin is worsening. Unfortunately, wearing a mask for long periods of time creates a new problem for us: breakouts and pimples.
What is Maskne and what causes it?
Maskne, the nickname given to the acne caused by masks, and it is not something new. This problem was already suffered by many professionals who they use one the mask regularly at work. And this last year has increased both incidence and awareness, as the use from face mask it has become obligatory and necessary for all.
The acne It develops when hair follicles become clogged with oil, bacteria, and dead cells. Dr. Nazanin Saedi, a board-certified dermatologist at Thomas Jefferson University, suggests that breathing for hours while wearing a mask creates a moist environment that can become "a breeding ground for acne." The friction enter here face mask and our skin also can clog pores, increasing the formation of pimples and promoting the appearance of others problems on the skinsuch as rosacea and perioral dermatitis.
What mask is good for the face?
Among the three safest types of mask are:
- The FFP2 mask: It is reduce droplet transmission by more than 99.9%. It is undoubtedly one of the ones that protects us the most but also one of the ones that most harms our skin. Does not allow oxygen the area and if we use it for long hours we will surely see side effects on our skin.
- The surgical mask: reduce droplet transmission 90% or more. it is mask allows the skin to breathe much more than the FFP2, on the other hand it has a irritating tissue, can create redness and irritation on sensitive skin. In addition, it must be changed maximum every 4 hours, it is not the most ecological option.
- Masks made with cotton: is, They remove between 70% and 90% of aerosols. Depending on the number of layers and filters they carry. They are undoubtedly the kinder to our skin.
How to prevent the mask from creating acne
You don't have to choose between protecting your health and protecting your skin.
we will give you one easy guide with everything you need to know to use the mask sin come out grain:
- Take off your mask when you are at home and away from other people. Give your time skin for what breathing and recover from excess friction.
- If you use a face mask reusable fabric, wash it frequently to eliminate the bacteria that cause acne.
- have several on hand masks of cloth so you can use a new one and clean every day.
- Make sure the face mask of cloth is completely dry before putting it back on; If it's not dry, humidity added can worsen the conditions that cause acne on the skin under the mask.
- Wash your face daily with a gentle cleanser. If you wear the mask all day, consider keeping facial cleansing wipes on hand to cleanse and refresh your skin throughout the day.
- if you go to Gym or you exercise with the mask, always have one clean towel at hand for wipe your sweat. When you finish, change your mask to a dry one.
- keep your hydrated skin and consider using a moisturizing cream. the creams oil free moisturizers They help maintain your skin's natural moisture balance.
- Prevention is often the best medicine, so keeping your mask clean and washing your face can help protect you.
And you skin reacts to the mask with a severe acne breakouttalk to you dermatologist, you may need products like:
- Benzoyl Peroxide: Typically used for mild acne, benzoyl peroxide is a drying agent commonly found over the counter at drug stores.
- Retinoides: Available in creams, gels, and lotions, retinoids are derivatives of vitamin A. These acne treatments are available by prescription and work by preventing the clogging of hair follicles.
- Oral antibiotics: Often used in combination with retinoids, oral antibiotics can kill excess bacteria. Topical antibiotics are not normally recommended as a stand-alone treatment for acne.
Be good to your skin. Uses gentle and natural cleansersAvoid harsh exfoliants. Choose products that help create a barrier of natural hydration to your skin and avoid touching your face as much as possible.
Our anti-acne treatment is the perfect solution to combat the side effects of the mask.
You can also take a look at your daily skincare routine. Chronic stress can cause your skin's physiology to change, so some products you've been using may be making your skin more sensitive or prone to inflammation and doing the opposite of what you intended.